Trinity Episcopal Church
on the Green
129 Church Street, Suite 705
New Haven, CT 06510
Episcopal Church on the Green was founded in 1752. In honor of its two hundred
and fiftieth anniversary celebrated from Trinity Sunday, 2001, to
Trinity Sunday, 2002 the church commissioned a new window that combined
a traditional stained glass style with up-to-date imagery.
The result was "Trinitys History and Vision," designed by Val Sigstedt. This stained glass window, executed in the same techniques used a thousand years ago in the medieval cathedrals of Europe, shows in nine gothic icons the 250-year history and mission of this religious community. It images the Church as it lives among the realities of the "ordinary" world. Icons of Trinity's history and mission are set in medieval quattrefoils against an overarching imagery of ecological and divine wholeness.
The stained glass window committee met regularly for almost a year. All
the members of the committee were parishioners, and included architects,
artists, engineers, and laypersons, as well as the rector. The committee
decided that it wanted a window that faced out to the world, rather than
into the church. The logical location for such a window was in the only
remaining major undecorated window in the church, which, though over the
central door to the church, had long been invisible, since it faced a
blank space behind the organ. That space, which was under the belltower,
had just been renovated in 1999, and turned into a space for adult education
and confirmation class activities. Given its siting, the only choice was
to have it "shine from within", since it could not be seen from
inside the church. On the other hand, having it shine out onto the New
Haven Green also fit with the desire to enhance the church's outreach
to the community.
|© 2002 The Episcopal Church and Visual Arts|